FUTURES is a STEM outreach program that empowers community college faculty, staff, students, and alumni to connect with their local community through sharing their personal stories.
This program is currently seeking new community college partners.
The FUTURES program is seeking to expand its programming across the state of North Carolina. See below for a map of our active locations.
NC Community Colleges
We plan to engage with all 58 community colleges by 2025!
Selected FUTURES participants will receive:
- Workshops that help hone their skills in science communication and storytelling
- Professional development opportunities
- Opportunities to network with professionals and connect with their community
- A modest stipend
This program consists of the following commitments:
- Complete two 2 1/2 hours workshops
- Complete at least one consultation
- Develop a personal story
- Uploading a video of your personal story
- Participate in at least one virtual or in-person outreach event
- Complete program evaluations
FUTURES is here to help support pre-existing events at community colleges by supplying support and trained science storytellers that will be able to promote the college.
Examples of outreach events:
- Open house
- Student recruiting events
- Special events such as induction ceremonies
- Classroom visit
- Science fairs
- Science nights
- Science Cafés
- A two-part special event where students can meet the FUTURES scientists and then conduct experiments with scientists
Depending on the location, this program will take an estimated two months to complete. Most participants complete this program within a semester.
Contact FUTURES at FUTURES@email.unc.edu if you have any questions.
FUTURES is made possible by the generous support of the North Carolina GlaxoSmithKline Foundation.