Option to purchase kits
The Duke Energy Science Night Program uses an application and selection process to award a limited number of kits at no cost to schools across the state. Since the program began in 2012, demand has skyrocketed to the point where we're only able to award kits to about a third of the schools that apply. We select schools based on the greatest economic need, diversity, and compelling stories from the applicants, but wanted to expand the reach of this program as broadly as possible.
The price of the Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit for 2021-2022 is $495*, with a discounted price of $445* for each additional kit purchased by the same school.
*Note that a 7.5% sales tax will also be charged.
This wildly popular NCSciFest program is back for its 11th year!
Funding from the Duke Energy Foundation allows NC Science Festival staff to produce STEM activities and resource kits for use by elementary schools across the state. This program is designed to help you host a fun science event for your students and their families with the use of a kit that includes hands-on activities, a planning guide, activity instructions, materials for up to 200 participants, and the support of NCSciFest staff.
The Duke Energy Foundation sponsorship funds a limited number of kits to award at no charge. These are awarded to schools using an application process that includes a review of school need, demographics, geography, and past participation. Kit preorders and sponsorship applications open in August and close in September of each school year. Schools hold their science event during April, bringing families together as a community to explore the amazing world of science as part of the North Carolina Science Festival.
What's included with a Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit?
- Ten activities aligned with K-5 Science Standards
- Activity guides (detailed instructions, explanations of the science, and North Carolina connections)
- Activity supplies (materials for 200 students to perform each of the activities)
- Planning guide (helpful instructions on how to organize a science event)
- Unlimited access to downloadable digital resources (including Spanish versions of documents)
- Promotional materials (including a banner, flyer templates, and give-aways to build excitement)
- Instructional webinars (including PD for teachers)
- Email and phone support
- Cost of materials procurement, packing and shipping
How do I apply for a sPONSORed Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit?
Applications open in early August and close in early September of each school year. Kits ship in mid-February.
How do I purchase a Duke Energy Science Night Activity Kit?
Preorders open in early August and close mid September of each school year. We require payment in advance so that we can procure the kit materials, with prepayment due in early October. Kits ship in mid-February.
What is the 2021-2022 Duke Energy Science Night Timeline?
- Aug 2 - Sep 10: Preorder period for 2022 activity kits
- Aug 2 - Aug 31: Application period for sponsored 2022 activity kits
- Sep 3: Schools who applied for sponsored kits notified of status via email
- Sep 10: Selected schools return sponsored kit acceptance form
- Sep 10: Deadline to preorder 2022 activity kits
- Oct 1: Deadline to submit payment or cancel preorder
- Oct/Nov 2021: Program Welcome webinar offered
- January 2022: Instructional webinar offered
- February 2022: Activity Kits ship
- April 2022: Schools use their Activity Kits as part of the NCSciFest
- May 2022: Deadline to submit evaluation and feedback
What can I do if I have questions?
Please contact the NCSciFest team by email* (email@example.com) or by telephone (919-962-3274).
*Please add this addresses to your contacts to be sure our correspondences do not get caught in your spam filter.